Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Butter Cookie Banana Pudding



Okay, I’ll admit it.  I don’t use Vanilla Wafers in my banana pudding.  If you are a Southerner, take a few deep breaths…I promise it’ll be okay.  I add an unexpected ingredient also.  We’ll get to that soon…after you recover from the cookie revelation.  My swap out from the traditional favorite came from necessity.  After becoming a stay at home mommy, I became a deal seeker in an effort to keep my new gig.  I also had more time to fuel my love of cooking.  So when I discovered my husband’s aunt’s banana pudding recipe in her church cook book, I knew I wanted to give it a try.  It’s a staple dessert found each year at the Fourth of July cookout.  So I made my list, clipped my coupons, loaded up my munchkin and headed off to the grocery store.  I picked out a bunch of bananas, cool whip, sour cream (yep, sour cream) and rounded the corner to the cookie aisle.  Much to my dismay the “Nilla Wafers” were nearly four bucks a box! I scanned the row for a sale price, something to rescue me and my banana pudding.  That’s when this frugal momma made a dessert-altering decision.  I found the Sunday School cookies.  You know, the little round butter cookies that you can put on the end of your finger.  I tossed the package in the cart with optimism and haven’t looked back since.


Butter Cookie Banana Pudding

1 large package vanilla instant pudding
2 ½ cups milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
8 ounces sour cream
8 ounces Cool Whip
4 bananas
1 package of butter or shortbread cookies

Whisk pudding mix, milk, and vanilla extract for about two minutes until thickened.  Stir in sour cream and then gently fold in Cool Whip.  In a large bowl, layer cookies, bananas, and pudding mixture.  Top with crumbled cookies.


1 comment: